Thursday 11 September 2008

SOUTH WALK:- From stunning cliffs to hot dog whiffs!


I had planned to walk all weekend - but Saturday was a wash out after the torrential rain so on the Sunday, 7th Sept, I was up at 5:45am to get on the road early to Lulworth Cove, where I finished up on my very first weekend of walking from the Poole end. The roads were deserted so I was back on the coast path by 8:15am heading out from the Heritage Centre up towards Durdle Door. It was another cloudy day, but good for walking. The plan was to walk 11 miles to Weymouth. The first part of the walk was pretty up and down, but with stunning coastline. Durdle Door itself is one of the most photographed areas of the Jurassic Coast with it's unusual semi circular bay and massive natural arch caused by erosion. Apart from a couple of dog walkers, the place was deserted . The next few miles were just as scenic with sheer drops of white cliffs. It was quite comforting being able to see my destination ahead of me at all times. Weymouth stretches out to sea with a long curved bay ending with Portland Harbour and the Isle of Portland Bill joined to the mainland by a long causeway built next to the raised pebble ridge of Chesil Bank to the West.


After a few miles, I reached the village of Osmington Mills. Bizarrely, at this point there was an alternative "inland" coastal path which goes for 16 miles to the village of West Bexington - so for 16 miles you see no coast at all!! - an inland coast path!! - that's ridiculous - so it was a no brainer to give that a miss and from here on - the path meandered through a series of fields and woods until it reached the outskirts of Weymouth at Bowleaze Cove. With all the rain, the paths were slippy and progress was slow - I slowed up particularly after an unfortunate incident where my feet went one way, my body the other and suddenly I was wearing a hedge! Fotunately, or otherwise, there was no witnesses to the undignified nosedive. A few miles further on and I suddenly realised that within a couple of hours, I had been transported from Jurassic natural beauty to Moronic grockle territory.

Candyfloss, hot dogs, stripy deckchairs, and fat Northeners were suddenly in abundance. On a grey September day - Weymouth looked pretty grotty.

Suddenly I had reached the main promenade - which followed the curved bay. I seemed to attract a few strange looks as I marched along with my walking poles, map around my neck, backpack and knobbly walking knees! Which mountain had I just descended from - I could see them wondering. By this time, I felt I'd walked far enough, so was glad when I reached the Jubilee clock on the Esplanade- my end destination of the day. From here, I headed for the train station, and within 20 minutes was on the Weymouth to London train getting off at Wool. Unfortunately, being a Sunday, the only way to get to Lulworth Cove from here was to use a Taxi. I upset the taxi driver by trying to barter with him - £12 seemed a bit steep for a 5 mile journey - but it was either that or walk! So after a 5hr walk - I was back where I started in 40 minutes. Next weekend - it's back to grotty Weymouth - and carry on around the Isle of Portland.

No comments: