Sunday 8 February 2009

South Walk: Torquay to Brixham

Saturday January 17th - I left Uffculme bright and early and headed for Torquay. Had a bit of trouble locating the road near Ansteys Cove where I had finished the previous week - but then managed to find a quiet cul-de-sac to leave the car for the day. It looked as if it was going to be a bright sunny day for a change!

Although, I was in Torquay - I had a long walk around Hopes Nose and Thatcher Point - and then across Meadfoot beach before I reached the main centre of the resort, the harbour and the start of the promenade.

Torquay is probably one of the South West's major resorts and the whole Torbay area is referred to as the English Riviera symbolised by their Palm tree logo.

The start of the walk passed Ansteys Cove - a very unspoilt cove surrounded by woodland - and then I headed towards Hope's Nose along "Bishop's Walk" - so named after a former Bishop of Exeter for whom it was a popular jaunt - and who built himself a Palace nearby - now the well know Palace Hotel.

For a short period, after negotiating Thatcher Point - the path followed the coastal road, Ilsham Marine Drive , where there were some splendid properties with spectacular views across Torbay. Then there was a steep drop down to Meadfoot beach and a pleasant half mile walk along the promenade. At the end - the path climbed up again to a grassy expanse called Daddyhole Plain which was another splendid viewpoint, before then meandering through pleasant gardens down towards Torquay Harbour.
The path followed the road behind the fairly new attraction known as "Living Coasts" - an area of the coast which has been embraced by a large mesh net - under which they have created various areas of ocean life and an indoor educational centre


Torquay has many attractions - but I wasn't hanging around to see any of them.
One which did stand out - was a massive white circular balloon - which you could pay to rise up whilst still tethered and no doubt get superb views. It did look a little out of place mind you.

It was flat walking all the way around the Marina and along the promenade - so I made good progress and was soon heading out on the main road towards Paignton, In fact it was pavement walking for about a mile - following the main A379 passing Corbyn's Head and Livermead with good views looking back across Torquay front.

Finally - you leave the road and enter Hollicombe Park before dropping down to the beach and seafront of Preston Sands.

This was another seafront promenade with little to commend it - and then the path winds inland around the formidable looking Redcliffe Hotel before joining the main Paignton promenade complete with sad looking pier!

Paignton is another very popular tourist spot -and is the endpoint of the Paignton and Dartmouth Steam railway, as well as being home to the renowned and excellent Paignton Zoo. But there was no time to gawp at monkeys - and I was soon heading out of Paignton around Roundham Head and along the back of Goodrington Sands. It was mid morning by now, and on a sunny Saturday morning - there was quite a gathering of dog walkers. For a while - the path followed the Steam Railway line across the cliffs above Saltern and Shell Cove before dropping down to Broad Sands bay - a depressing semi circular soul-less place with an ugly concrete cafe as it's main centre piece. Here I found a gaggle of bird Watchers - all with their expensive looking binoculars trained out to sea. I did ask what they were looking at - but shamefully, I have forgotten what it was! - it wasn't a Seagull, I know that much.


The next point of interest was Elberry Cove, an unspoilt spot with a shingle beach and leaving here, I had another 2-3 miles to go before reaching Brixham. Originally, I had thought that I might carry on from Brixham and head for Dartmouth - but the forecast was for severe weather - so I had decided to wait and see how I felt.

The path headed across the low cliffs alongside a golf course before passing through Churston Cove and rounding a very sad looking chalet park . Soon, Brixham harbour was in sight and I before I knew it, I was passing alongside the newly renovated outer harbour and into Brixham itself. By now, it was decidedly cold and getting windier by the minute. I had a pint at a harbourside hostelry and made the decision to call it a day. There were regular buses back to Torquay centre - and I managed to hop on another which took me back to Anstey's Cove . Another 12 miles done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

route during the holidays would be fun plus staying at very relaxing Somerset holiday cottages would be just awesome.